Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A look back, before screaming forward.

Well I'm about two months into this one week project. That would make it seems as if I failed, but instead I am actually really rather pleased, with both myself, and the progress.
The funny thing about epiphanies, or at least my version of epiphanies, is that they tend to be fleeting. I am had ah! moments about the disheveled chaos of my life many a time. In deed I once embraced it, declaring myself and sub-prophet of the chaos theory, and thus quite effectively turned my life into, well, chaos.
Though many years have passed since converting to the hope of a greater purpose in life, I am not sure I really connected that organization is not the enemy. How you say. I don't really know, I guess I didn't necessarily have the skill set to be organized.
And I think it is that lack of internal triggers and problem solving, and really the ability to say NO to other people's junk, along with a year long funk, that got me to where I was. And those things take more than a week to remedy.
So . . . the best news is that what has been done is staying done. This is not to say that there is never a pile of laundry(speaking of which I need to start a load ASAP) in my bathroom. It is however in a hamper. The bathroom has been perhaps the easiest to keep in running order because I fold and wipe down while the mini-me is in the bath.
My closet and clothes in general are much easier as well. I think sometimes I put off doing laundry because I didn't want to try to stuff all the clean clothes into over-filled drawers. Robert was looking for something the other day and commented on how full his side of the closet was and looked over at mine in wide eyed wonderment. I am an example to be admired.
The "reception area" has been a life changer. There is even a nice spot for the lunch box. Non-perishables go in the night before and then in the morning, the jello and the cracker stackers and straight into the book bag. The recycling area is working as well. My mother even complimented on how nicely my recycling was prepared when we went to the dump this weekend. My mother, complimented me on an organizational method, yes the world may truly be ending.
This is not to suggest that I am a radically different person, at least not yet. I still do a panicked where's my keys dance a couple of times a week. Just yesterday I couldn't find one of the pair of shoes that I wanted to wear to work. I still have not found the set of keys that I lost in the kitchen and started this whole ordeal. Which is not good for my marriage because of course it was the set with the remote car starter. But running out to start the truck in the morning is good for reminding me I need to do better with my keys.
I am also still working on the saying No. In fact I have really made no progress there. I married the king of NO, I try to simply run behind him and tap his left shoulder, a code for him to start screaming NO. Just last week WALT and I ventured to my father in laws on our own and came back with 6 bags of stuff. I have got rid of 2 bags plus and most is edible, but I really didn't need all of Robert's ETSU memorabilia right then, but I got it.

A warning, the next set of pictures are rough. Embarrassing really. It is a lost room. It has never had a true function, except when it was Lee Jay's room. and it is awkward in its function and placement in the house. Nevertheless there is really no excuse for how bad it has gotten. Just know that before I even post them progress is being made. It may take the whole month of March, but the beast will be tamed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment